FOSH banner

 

Sellers Hall ~ History

hopep1

Sellers Hall, built in 1684 by brothers Samuel and George Sellers, is located on the grounds of Saint Alice Catholic Church in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania.

While building Sellers Hall, the family first lived in a cave on this site. Hence this area was referred to as “cave field”.

The marriage of Samuel Sellers to Anna Gibbons was the first recorded at the Darby Friend’s Meeting.  George, brother of Samuel passed away without ever marrying and leaving no descendants. On occasion, Quaker meetings were held at the homestead, especially during Samuel’s older years.

Visitors added to this sites history.  The most noted are Oliver Evans 1755 - 1819, a millwright genius, Charles Willson Peale, 1741 - 1827, famous artist, John Morton, 1725 - 1777, signer of the Declaration of Independence. John Morton and John Sellers jointly signed an issue of Pennsylvania Currency, in which their “names were their bonds”.

It is said that John Sellers II used his birthplace to hide runaway slaves seeking freedom.  An old story recalls that once, a family friend peering down into the cellar expected to see one or two runaway slaves.  He was startled by many pairs of eyes.

There were several marriages between the Sellers and Garrett families during the height of the Underground Rail Road.  Of the Garrett family, the most prominent for his actions, is the famous abolitionist Thomas Garrett.  The bond between these families strengthened the “cause”, the Underground Rail Road.

Future generations built their homes in the beautiful area surrounding their ancestral home, An excerpt from the book David Sellers, Mary Pennock Sellers by Sarah Pennock Sellers:

“Perhaps one of the prettiest spots in Delaware County is about one mile or more of the old Marshall Road in Upper Darby, with several of the old Sellers homes grouped on the elevations around the old homestead, and the meadows lying between, through which wanders Naylor’s Run,  The names of the houses speak of old times, “Sellers Hall”, “Wild Orchard”, “Millbourne” and “Hoodland”, also Sellers homes, but, although beautiful, they do not embody the spirit of the group on the Marshall Road.  We hold our breath as we gaze and think surely a trolley will soon sweep away this old time picture.  The Marshall Road is the oldest road west from Philadelphia, starting from the middle ferry over the Schuylkill.  The streets have gradually encroached it till now there is left but this mile or two in Upper Darby”